Monday, July 7, 2014

MY SHIP COMES IN--WITH TELLY SAVALAS

Out on the lake, I steer a small boat toward the breakwall. The wall is higher than I imagined. The water, usually clean this far out--about a mile and a half from shore--appears particularly dirty with lots of foam surrounding the sturdy outboard.

Then I am on a rickety bridge where a man tears down the broken, rotted railings and fence and hauls it away. Fish, rising to the surface, are pale, weak and sickly.

A short distance away, a large yacht glides steadily toward us. People on shore  anxiously await the arrival of actor, Telly Savalas. Standing at the bow, on deck, he looks toward the throng.



Puzzled by the images in this dream, I tried to find some connection to real life. This is what stood out: In a sturdy little boat, I headed toward the breakwall that was higher than expected. I felt it referred to my fervent desire to "break" a cycle that impacted the family. The worries, like the wall, were much larger than I could handle alone. Anticipation was high for the arrival of Telly Savalas, and corresponded to hope in resolving our problems.  Having often felt surrounded by dirt from the source of our worries, we (the fish) became pale, weak, and even sickly. In the hopes of having better times, I welcomed the arrival of someone who could make things better--the man tearing down rotted boards and Telly Savalas, the hero of the retro TV drama, Kojac. Telly's image brought forth the ever-present sucker. Sucker, in this context, could have referred to those easily duped. In over our depth and needing help, Telly's arrival on the deck of a large, nifty ship was just what we needed. Ahoy, Telly.

No comments:

Post a Comment