Monday, September 8, 2014

THE RABBIT

Each time I made overtures toward becoming self-employed, something came along to throw a monkey wrench into the works. On reflection, I knew that a lack of confidence in my abilities was driving my failures. I already demonstrated that I could work for somebody else, so I had that success and security. What I didn't know was if I could survive depending on my self-employment skills. I've always thought of others as possessing bona fide talent, while I felt more like a pretender!

See how the ambivalence of my predicament showed up one night:

I am at home. Julie, a principal in the company where I work, brings over a rabbit. It is very nice and tame. The fur is soft, dark brown. As I bend over to look at it, I notice it has no food or water. And I think, how like her not to give the rabbit food or water. So I go to get some. While doing this, I let the rabbit out of its crate. The crate is too small anyway. I say, "Don't we have something larger to keep the rabbit in?"

The rabbit is so happy that it goes racing around the house--but only briefly. Then it jumps back into the small crate.

Here is what the dream showed me:

Julie represented my work environment. In describing the rabbit: nice, tame, dark brown hair, I couldn't help but think how much I identified with it. That surely fit my description. Then, Julie's not providing food or water reminded me that the rabbit (me) wasn't getting what it needed. And last, when having an opportunity at freedom, did it want to stay free? Of course not, the timid creature jumped right back into the little box!

This dream helped me see the problem of my ambivalence as I wrestled over making a job change. The problem, identified, helped me. Future dreams pointed the way to progress.



Allposters - The Rabbit, Albrecht Durer


No comments:

Post a Comment